Thursday, 27 February 2014

It's been a long day...

I haven't seen the girls today. Their guardian phoned and was rather giddy (in an excited way) and declared that they (meaning her and my kids) were going shopping at WEM. for the day. It's not WHAT she said, as much as HOW she said it; in one of those devious-yet-excited tones of voice. I have no idea what's up, but something is certainly in the air! It's obvious that with so many families responding to my plea, stress levels are finally coming down on all sides. I hadn't heard her that happy in a long time!



I am still reading through inquiries and and offers and I feel like I barely scratched the surface of all your messages! Your response has been incredible and it would be a shame if the ideal family got away (who knows, maybe one of you lives down the street from me?).

I've already been in touch with some people to let them know that I'd like to chat with them further. Interestingly, I received a large number of offers from people in Ontario and Nova Scotia and while Edmonton (and then Alberta) is my clear preference. However, should a placement here fail, I wouldn't be closed to an out-of-province transfer

The social worker from CFS came to see me this morning to see how things have been going and to see how she can help me out with sorting through families. I appreciate the time she took to follow up on me and I gave her the info on a family that has captured my interest. Since she is already registered as a foster parent, she should be able to track her down with the information I provided. I have several other families that I have already short-listed and contacted with a message letting them know I would be in touch. Knock on wood that something comes out of this. 

Another reason she stopped by was to see if I can convince the children's guardian to accept assistance in order to help her and her family out until the girls move in with their new family. This way, we can buy some time to transition the children over slowly, instead of a sudden overnight switch, and they can benefit from assistance with my girls which has been a source of stress for them.

9 comments:

Sara Yankowski said...

If I lived closer, I would take them in, in a heartbeat. I live in Detroit MI, US.

Wendy said...

Sending you and your girls warm wishes and so much strength. You sound like an amazing Mum. I am wishing you the very best.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to see that you've had such a strong response from families, especially in your area. When I read your story I wanted so badly to be able to care for your beautiful girls. Unfortunately, I'm a single young woman who lives in Buffalo, NY. I work with students in the foster system every day, so seeing this kind of hugely positive outcome is truly heartwarming for me.

I wish you and your girls all the love and blessings in the world. I know that you'll find the best situation for all involved. :)

Anonymous said...

Do excuse my ignorance on the situation I was curious to know if the placement your looking for is a foster home and you are screening foster families to see which ones best suit the kids or if it is an out of system placement you interested in? Praying for you guys blessings

Anonymous said...

Im glad you have had a great responce for help with you kids. As a person that has not been blessed with kids of our own, and have looked at adoption and that well is a something else, im glad your able to skip the foster system and get them in a good home right away. We don't live in Edmonton, and would not be fare to your girls to bring them far away from the people they love.

Sasha Nagy said...

Sarah can you get in touch with me. Hoping to chat for a news article on Huffington Post Canada... Thanks

Chantal Plunkett said...

Good morning Sarah! I was wondering if there was an email address to contact you? Cheers!

Aaron Kulbe said...

This whole situation breaks my heart. Sarah, you have our prayers!

mamazee said...

I am praying for you and your girls. We are in Grande Prairie, and i hope you do find someone very close to where you are, so that you can still have relationship with your girls. Being sick is no reason to have to lose your daughters.