Thursday, 6 March 2014

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: a weekend update--Part II

Part II--the Good

Now on to the Good! It looks like I may have found a family! This started before dad decided to finally reveal his whereabouts and I'm praying that in the long run, this will work out for all parties concerned.

To help you understand, I want to offer an analogy. Is there a hobby that you love so much, that you live for it? It's on your mind day and night and you can't get your mind off of it. If you're unable to work on it 24/7, then you're looking up pictures or information online about that hobby, or boring your family to death for the umpteenth time about some stone you found while hiking in the mountains? This is how things came about for this family.

First of all, I have to admire their tenacity and creativity as to how they got my attention. Knowing that they'd be one among many people trying to get my attention, they took rather creative measures to get my attention. I had a short-list of about four or five families and, at that point, I barely read 5-10% of the total correspondence sent to me. 

This family's email came to me via a slightly different route and while they were among three families I passed on to the social worker, their email was constantly on my mind and I couldn't stop thinking about them. Finally on Friday, I emailed them, asking if they would be willing to meet with me to discuss the situation further and get the chance to fill them in on some information that isn't in the news--including the then-situation with the girls' father.

Our talk lasted close to 2 1/2 hours and I was happy to learn about their family dynamics and and how my daughters would be integrated into their family. They were able to give me the magic answers (in my own mind) in regards to certain questions regarding my daughters and from then on, I was sold.
What I really appreciate (among many other things), is that they realize the importance of the girls having access to their mother and their willingness to make changes around the girls, even if it means making small sacrifices here and there in order to work with their best interests at heart.

We ended our visit on a positive note and made arrangements so that they (and their children) could meet my daughters on Sunday.

Sunday came along and they finally had the opportunity to meet with the girls. We chatted some more while their children and mine played together at a nearby table. We were able to ask question we missed on Friday and after about an hour, I suggested we join the kids at the table.

Their own children, whom had wanted other siblings for ages seemed to be sold on the idea, as were my daughters. They then got to truly meet my daughters and show them pictures of their home and share with them what their family life was like. They discussed each others likes and dislikes, as well as what types of activities each liked to do.

Overall, it was a very positive experience and I'm praying that they are still willing to accept the girls along with the potential dirty laundry that may soon follow. There are several other backup families, but with my wanting them located in a week, I hope that the social workers involved can hurry up and touch base with each other in order to make this happen.

Everything runs on God's time, I guess... Please keep your prayers open, that these girls may be protected from any potential harm, as well af finding the happiness and stability they really need.

God Bless everyone for your continued prayers and support!

2 comments:

Jamie Zavala said...

I'm so glad to hear that the situation is going in a direction that is so promising, and I will continue to keep you in prayer as you work out the kinks that seem to be cropping up ie. the dad issue, and that the situation will resolve itself without harm or hassle. May God give you peace and strength for each new day.

LCollins said...

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your daughters. I hope everything works out for the best with the family you have found. They seem like a perfect fit.